Monday, June 25, 2007

The Best Story I've read in a long time...

I just finished Khaled Hosseni's The Kite Runner...Ok! I know I am a little late reading it, considering it was a huge success back in 2004 when it was published...but I picked it up recently and just couldn't put it down...As accurately stated by Isabel Allende, "all the great themes of literature and of life are the fabric of this extraordinary novel: love, honor, guilt, fear, redemption"...it is truly a classic story and absolutely riveting...

Set in Afghanistan (where Hosseini hails from), the Kite Runner is essentially a story of two boys, their friendship, loyalty, and life's journey, all set against the backdrop of war....what is particularly well written and vividly described are the atrocities the Taliban inflicts on Afghanis and particularly, the "hazara class" or the underpriveldged class...that's what makes Hoseeini's novel a must-read...his words translate into images right before your eyes..you feel Amir's (the protagonist) pain and hate the Taliban for their ruthless, blinding, completely inhuman beliefs...its that well written!!!

There's been a fair amount of debate over whether the novel is a true story, based on Hosseini's own experiences in Afghanistan before he sought asylum in the US...Hosseini vehemently denies any such association, but sometimes you have to wonder whether he's narrating his own story (which explians why it feels so real) or if he's just a literary genius!!

The story of course, becomes predictable towards the last few chapters and has some twists and turns (quite like a hindi movie) which I deemed very unecessary, but overall, highly recommended!

Next on my list: his new book "A Thousand Splendid Suns" and "The Gospel According to Judas by Benjamin Iscariot" recommended by Dad, of course!

No comments: